Built-in microwave ovens provide some additional advantages in comparison to traditional ovens. The biggest of which is its compact and space-saving design. Built-in microwave ovens are designed to fit neatly inside a cabinet or your kitchen wall. This design helps to free up space on your kitchen countertop. This article will talk about the best built-in microwaves on the market that you should buy!
Please note that built-in microwaves are more expensive than their countertop variation, and installation can be a handful, so it is best to hire a licensed professional to do the task. This type of microwave oven is designed to become part of your kitchen, so take that into account if you plan to get one.
If you are interested in a built-in microwave but have no idea where to start looking, then you have come to the right place! The higher cost and relatively complex installation may seem daunting. Still, if you wish to maximize your kitchen space, then a built-in microwave oven is a good investment for your home. This article will discuss essential elements that you need to consider when looking for a built-in microwave.
We will also be going a step beyond by providing you with a list of the top brands and units in the market today to help further narrow down your search. Without further ado, let us begin our countdown, shall we?
In a Hurry?
A little bit busy and don't have the time to go through our highly detailed buying guide and review section? We got you covered there with our top 3 picks of highly recommended built-in microwave ovens.
Panasonic NN-SN966S Microwave Oven
The Panasonic NN-SN966S Microwave Oven will need a bit of planning first if you wish to buy it with its substantial size. That said, it comes with numerous features that will you achieve fast and delicious results with your recipes. It is also user-friendly and straightforward to operate, even for first-timers.
Choice for Smart Home
Sharp KB-6524PS Microwave Drawer Oven
With a feature-rich functionality and sleek modern design, the Sharp Microwave Drawer Oven not only saves space in your kitchen but will also guarantee delicious meals. If you have the extra cash, why not go the extra mile with this excellent built-in microwave oven?
We've just finished this review about Microwave convection oven combo, in case you might want to read more. 🙂
Built-in Microwave Buying Guide – Important Things to Consider Before Making a Purchase
Before heading out to find the best built-in microwave oven for your budget, it is always best to know what you will need to know to make decisions. Being adequately armed with the correct information means that you will be able to make an informed decision as to which product will provide you with the best benefits and advantages. Check out our buying guide below and learn what to look for when searching for a built-in microwave oven.
1. Size of The Microwave
Measure how much space is free in your kitchen cabinet or wall. This is mandatory, especially if there is already a pre-made microwave oven space in your kitchen. Quite possibly, the most crucial factor to consider is the unit's size. Generally, built-in microwave oven cabinets are designed to accommodate a 24-inch unit, but some offer larger rooms, making sure you take accurate measurements first.
As noted previously, you have to make sure that the installation area is prepped and ready before buying a built-in microwave oven. Besides the size of the installation spot and unit, you also have to consider whether the cabinet will hold the weight of the microwave oven. This is also why we highly recommend you hire a professional when setting up your built-in microwave oven to ensure proper installation.
Modern microwaves are a step above the ones we had a couple of years back. Nowadays, microwave ovens come with additional features to make cooking extra convenient and easy. If you wish to cast a broad net, we recommend going for units that provide roasting, grilling, and baking capabilities. Some also come with defrost and reheating functionalities as well. You should also check the microwave oven's pre-programmed cooking options to see if it will be able to cover all or most of your main recipes.
Another vital factor when buying a microwave oven is its power output or wattage. Microwave oven wattage will range between 650W to 1950W. The higher the power, the faster it can cook. This particular factor will be subjective to the customer. If you enjoy cooking, we recommend you get an oven with higher power output. For those who primarily reheat food, 650W will suffice. You will also notice the Heat Category that is displayed on the microwave oven. Those categorized as A are the least powerful units, while E is classified as the most powerful wattage.
5. Turntable or Flatbed?
There are two variations available in the market regarding microwave ovens: microwave ovens that use turntables and units that use flatbeds. Microwave ovens with turntables utilize a platform that rotates during the cooking process to help ensure even cooking. These are removable as well, which means cleaning is relatively easy. Some microwave ovens also have features that allow users to turn off the rotating feature if they wish the food inside to remain stationary.
As for flatbed microwave ovens, these units do not have a rotating element but instead utilize a different heating technology to help evenly cook food. Flatbed microwave ovens also provide more cooking space inside than turntable units. That said, flatbed microwave ovens are considerably more expensive than the traditional turntable variation.
Featured Post: Best Microwave Convection Oven Reviews (Latest Update).
The Best Built-In Microwave with Reviews - Top 5 On The Market Right Now
Below, there is a list of the best 5 built-in microwaves after we've done the research. We analyzed the Pros & Cons with detailed information for each product. Let's check it out!
1. Panasonic Microwave Oven NN-SD945S 2.2 Cu. Ft. 1250W
- Design: Inverter.
- Style Name: Keypad.
- Wattage: 1250W.
- Dimension (H x W x D): 14 x 23.9 x 19.4!
- Large capacity of 2.2 Cu. Ft.
- It is equipped with Inverter Technology that significantly improves stability and even distribution of heat.
- It is equipped with Advanced Inverter Turbo Defrost technology that speeds up defrosting time.
- Packed with advanced features such as Smart Cooking, Genius Sensor, and Keep Warm functionality.
Panasonic is one of the premier names in electronic appliances, so it is not surprising for one of their products to find a way into our list. This is a powerful microwave oven as it comes with up to 1,250 Watts of power, and at 2.2 cubic feet, it is also quite large. What helps separate this microwave oven from the competition is its Inverter technology, which delivers consistent and evenly prepared food and significantly speeds up the defrosting time.
Additionally, features such as Smart Cooking and Genius Sensor further helps improve convenience as it allows the oven to automatically adjust the power and cooking time based on the food inside. This is a highly innovative microwave oven that offers top-tier convenience in the kitchen.
With a decent build and feature-rich control, the Panasonic NN-SD945S could easily beat the competition. However, a rather complicated and inefficient control configuration holds this microwave back from breaking through the glass ceiling.
2. Farberware 1.1 Cu. Ft. Stainless Steel Countertop Microwave Oven
The Farberware Microwave Oven is a spacious and stylish kitchen appliance that will fit nicely within the modern household. It features a sleek stainless-steel exterior accompanied by a highly detailed LED display and digital clock. The microwave oven comes with ten power levels to cover all cooking necessities.
For convenience, the Farberware also has up to six preset cooking programs for popcorn, pizza, potato, defrosting veggies, and dinner plates. Reheating leftovers can also be done in an instant with this microwave oven. Additionally, it comes with a child safety feature that locks the control panel. Inside is a 12.5-inches glass turntable which you can also remove for easy cleaning.
A powerful microwave oven that can double as both a countertop and built-in mode, the Farberware delivers every bang for your buck. The well-rounded build, excellent features, and sleek design make this among the top of our most recommended products in this category.
3. Farberware Professional 1.3 Cu. Ft. 1100-Watt Microwave Oven
- Color: Matte Black.
- Wattage: 1100W.
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 12.4 x 20.4 x 16.6 (inches).
- Equipped with Smart Sensor technology.
- Comes with pre-programmed cooking settings and two defrost settings.
- 1 to 3-minute start function.
- Incorporates Energy Saving Mode technology.
- Up to 10 Power Levels available.
- Comes with a 12.4-inches glass turntable.
- Child lock safety feature.
Farberware makes another appearance twice in a row with their Professional 1.3 Cu. Ft. Microwave Oven. This is an upgrade to their previous entry and comes in two variations: black matte and white. The Farberware Professional is equipped with dozens of features to improve overall convenience in the kitchen.
This microwave oven comes with up to 9 One-Touch preset programs that cover a handful of popular meals such as pizza and popcorn. You can also expect lightning-fast cooking with its 1,100W power and ten adjustable power levels. We also love the Smart Sensor technology, which enhances precision in cooking your favorite recipes. Additionally, the Energy Saver mode will help cut down on your electrical bills.
For a mid-range built-in microwave oven, the Farberware Professional is undoubtedly the right choice. While it does offer flexibility when cooking different types of meals, microwave technology does not provide a perfectly even heat distribution. If you love cooking a wide variety of recipes, you might find this oven a bit limiting. For those who want a quick and easy meal, this might be the missing piece in your kitchen.
4. Sharp KB-6524PS 24-Inch Microwave Drawer Oven
- Wattage: 950W.
- Dimension (H x W x D): 15.88 x23.88 x 26.19 (inches).
- 1.2 Cubic Feet capacity.
- Equipped with Sensor Technology which provides up to 11 sensor programs.
- Features Smart Design functionality such as the Auto Touch Key which opens and closes the oven door automatically.
- Available in 24-inch and 30-inch sizes.
- Delivers a stable 950W power output.
Sharp is another brand known for its innovation, and the Sharp Microwave Drawer Oven is an excellent example of this reputation. While more extensive, the KB6524PS certainly looks sleeker and is designed to be user-friendly. It comes in both 24-inch and 30-inch models. It has a power output of 950 Watts, so don't expect to cook ample food quickly.
It has some highly convenient features like the Auto-Touch button, which closes and opens the oven door with the press of a button. Overall, while it may not pack the power of the other entries in this list, the polished features and functionality help elevate the Sharp KB6524PS Microwave Drawer Oven to new heights.
Reliable, well-built, stylish, and convenient – the Sharp KB6524PS Microwave Drawer Oven is one of the most well-rounded products that we have tested. While it does come with some excellent features, we hoped that it had more to give considering the price. If "ease of use" is what you are looking for in a microwave oven, this fits right up your alley.
5. GE JVM3160RFSS 30″ Over-the-Range Microwave Oven in Stainless Steel
- Wattage: 1000W.
- Dimension (H x W x D): 15.25 x29.87 x 16.5 (inches).
- 1.6 Cu. Ft. Capacity.
- Comes with a glass turntable with Turntable Control features.
- Auto and Manual Defrost for optimum results.
- Equipped with a two-speed 300-CFM vent system which helps remove smoke, steam, and odors from inside the oven.
Another staple for home appliances is the GE Over-the-Range Microwave Oven, a traditional microwave oven with a few curve balls thrown in. One of the most notable tweaks to its design is the 300-CFM vent system which helps eliminate smoke and odor from inside the oven. I want to point out that the fan can be rather noisy at times, and it will automatically turn on if the unit senses the temperature on the bottom is reaching a certain point. Overall, this is a pretty straightforward built-in microwave oven without many bells and whistles.
Why We Should Choose a Built-In Microwave Oven?
Now, if you are here because you are interested in the notion of a built-in microwave oven but are still on the fence on whether to buy one – we can help you make up your mind with that. One unique advantage comes with purchasing a built-in microwave oven that conventional ovens cannot provide.
Since the range will be installed into a closet or wall, you will be able to free up a lot of space on your countertop. This is the right choice if you plan on renovating your kitchen or in the process of building a new one. Having the microwave built into the wall or a cabinet is an excellent space-saving method.
Wow, it's incredible that you read until here 😀 We appreciate it a lot because we love readers with hunger minds for information. We are not going to let you down by ... showing you more interesting article in our blog:
- Best Microwave Convection Ovens Reviews – Yearly Selection by St.J.G Kitchen Blog.
- Best Sharpening Stones Reviews (Latest Update) with A Complete Thorough Buying Guide.
- Best Electric Grills Reviews (Yearly Selections) – 5 Things To Take Before Buying Your Own Electric Grill.
We do pay a lot of hard work researching these products, we hope it might help your buying experience much easier!
Additional Microwave Features That You Should Consider
Besides the main microwave features, we listed above, the advancement in technology allowed other functionalities to be implemented into the unit's design. While these features are not strictly mandatory to have, they are welcome inclusions that will help improve your overall experience using these vital kitchen appliances.
- Auto-Cook Program – The pre-programmed setting will allow you to circumvent the guesswork that sometimes comes with using microwave ovens. This feature has the temperature and time already set for popular meals. Some modern microwave also has features that automatically adjust the power and cooking time based on the type and weight of inside.
- Control Panel – Do you prefer the classic button and knob configuration or the modern touch control? Touch controls are far easier to clean and operate. However, make sure that the display is bright enough to be read correctly.
- Quartz Grill – Microwave with quartz grill feature is less potent than a standard oven grill but can achieve similar results. A quartz grill is ideal if you wish to achieve that perfect surface browning when roasting food.
- Radiant Grill – The radiant grill feature is suitable for cooking large or thicker food. If you love to prepare pork chops, a microwave oven with a radiant grill is an excellent choice. Remember to preheat the oven first before placing the food inside, as the radiant grill is also less powerful than the traditional range.
- Sensor Cooking – This feature is beneficial as it can detect the moisture in the food and the overall humidity within the oven. The oven will then automatically adjust temperature and cooking time on the fly to provide the best results.
- Child Lock System – If you have children at home, we recommend having this feature to ensure their safety. This safety feature will prevent children from turning on the oven without your supervision.
A built-in microwave is a great space-saving kitchen appliance for those with limited space. Since it will be installed inside a cabinet or wall, you can free up a good chunk of space in your kitchen. Of course, this means that you will need to spend some cash in the installation, but if you are already in the process of doing so, I say why not opt for this type of microwave oven instead? Mainly if your kitchen space is already limited as is.