For those who have just recently stepped into the microwave market, you might get overwhelmed with the wealth of option and variety that is available at the moment. For example, you might notice a particular type of microwave oven on the aisle that categorizes it as a microwave convection oven combo. So, what does that even mean? Here, you have come to the right place as we will be giving you the low-down of this particular microwave oven.
"What exactly is a convection microwave oven combo? - Do you need this type of microwave oven? - What are its strengths and weaknesses? - What should you look for with this particular microwave oven?" - And more questions to answer ...
These questions are important to understand when it comes to investing in home appliances. There are hundreds to thousands of choices available, and that can be overwhelming. Therefore, making an uninformed decision can lead you to a choice that does not fit your personal preferences.
To help guide you towards the best microwave convection combo, we compiled an in-depth list of units based on their overall quality, customer feedback, and the results of our rigorous tests. We will also offer you a guide on crucial factors to look for in a microwave convection oven combo. So, without further ado, let's begin our search!
Are you in a hurry?
Hold up a minute. No need to skim through our entire review and buying guide as we have a quick summary of the top three convection oven combos (highly recommended):
Panasonic NN-CD87KS Home Chef 4-in-1 Microwave Oven
Offering versatility at a worthy price. The Panasonic NN-CD87KS Home Chef microwave oven is our pick as the most well-rounded in this list. It's not just a microwave oven, but also as 4-in-1 oven with Air Fryer, Convection Bake, FlashXpress Broiler, Inverter. This will upgrade your kitchen by performing multiple tasks effectively well!
Amazon Smart Oven, a Certified for Humans Device – plus Echo Dot
For those who prefer smart devices at home, Amazon Smart Oven offers something right up your alley. It's also a 4-in-1 oven. This smart oven goes with Echo Dot making an excellent team that performs multiple awesome functions: scan-to-cook, voice controls, temperature checker, ... The compact design also make this a suitable choice for those with limited kitchen space. However, it's spacious enough to cook a 5-pound chicken.
Amazon Smart Oven, a Certified for Humans Device – plus Echo Dot
Toshiba EC042A5C-BS 1.5 Cu ft./1000W, Microwave Oven with Convection
If you are looking for a microwave oven combo with a more budget-friendly quality, Toshiba is definitely a brand you should check out. This microwave oven combo in particular provides a decent capacity while keeping the price tag as low as possible. While it is a budget pick, this entry from Toshiba is as good as any model that is above its price range.
Benefits of Using a Microwave Convection Oven Combo
Of course, a fancy string of words might sound impressive. However, what can you truly expect from this type of microwave oven? What are the advantages that it can bring to your kitchen countertop? Just sit back and let's go through the reasons of choosing a convection microwave oven combo, shall we?
- Versatile: Traditional microwave ovens offer the barebones functionality like cooking, defrosting, and reheating. A convection combo oven though goes a step beyond. It can provide the basic microwave oven functionalities, with roast, broil, grill, bake, and steam additionally! No need to buy other kitchen appliances as the convection combo oven is pretty much an 'all-in-one' unit.
- Energy Efficient: With its convection heating feature, this type of microwave oven can deliver faster cooking time. Therefore, you can prepare meals at almost half the usual time when the microwave oven consume less electricity. As a result, shorter cooking time means less power consumption, which leads to low monthly utility bills.
Microwave Convection Oven Combo – What to Look for?
- Size: Always consider how much space your kitchen has before buying a microwave convection combo oven. The capacity will be relative to each customer, but a good all-around size is 45L and above. This size can cover all basic cooking requirements. Also, you will be able to save more space as the oven possesses multiple functionalities.
- Wattage: Speaking of microwave cooking wattage, the ballpark is to go for 900 to 1300-watt units. Therefore, it will help lower the total cooking time. Anything lower than that will result in longer cooking time. As a matter of fact, convection oven will require higher power output. So, if buying the microwave convection oven combo is on your plan, I highly recommend you opt for the highest possible wattage.
- Smart Technology: Convenience is one of the key selling points of this microwave oven type. Thus, the ‘’2 in 1” or "4 in 1" functionality of microwave convection combo ovens are just the tip of the iceberg. Most of the current models in the market are equipped with more advanced features and modern presets to make your cooking a breeze.
- Aesthetics: Of course, the design of the microwave oven should be another aspect to consider. You don’t want an oven to stick out like a sore thumb in your kitchen, right? Depending on your kitchen’s interior design, you can choose between the traditional or the modern. Either way, this particular factor lies solely on to your personal preference.
- Warranty: Finally, you should always check the warranty period. Since this appliance can be a bit expensive, it is best to understand the warranty clause and have an extensive coverage period available. The most common warranty period for this type of product is around three years, so don’t settle for anything lower than that time frame.
The 5 Best Microwave Convection Oven Combo On The Market Now
As you can see, a microwave convection oven combo is built with versatility in mind. Its design and functionality combine several elements into one unit that is both compact and reliable. Now, if these benefits are your cup of tea, let us move on to our list of most recommended products. These are, currently, the best choices in this category of microwave ovens. If you are looking for the best of the best, you have found them.
1. Panasonic NN-CD87KS Home Chef 4-in-1 Microwave Oven
The Panasonic NN-CD87KS Home Chef 4-in-1 microwave convection oven combo is a sleek and modern kitchen appliance for modern families. It gives every bang of for its buck with a solid selection of features and functionality. Moreover, every unit comes with multi-function cooking which brings versatility in cooking.
Because of the flexible wattage, it can handle microwave heating, air frying, and grilling with relative ease. The grill mode is my favourite mode as it helps me keep the outside evenly brown and crispy while the inside is soft and juicy. One specific stand-out feature I would name is the Low-Temp control functionality. This feature is perfect for slow-cooking recipes and dehydrating fruits.
Panasonic NN-CD87KS microwave convection oven combo provides excellent versatility and flexibility in kitchen use. The 1.2 cu ft. capacity is not only suitable for those large families, but also overall, the functionalities that it offers make it one of the most appealing choices in this list.
2. Amazon Smart Oven, a Certified for Humans Device – plus Echo Dot
- Configuration: with Echo Dot.
- Color: Sandstone (Displayed).
- Dimension (H x W x D): 12.83 x 21.73 x 21.38!
- 1,000-Watts with 10 Power Levels.
- Rated power: 1,000W microwave, 1,400W convection cook, 1,300W warming element.
- 1.5 cu ft. capacity.
- Wi-Fi connectivity.
- Compatible with the Alexa App.
- Up to 30 Built-In Preset Menus.
- Equipped with 4 Cooking Modes (Microwave, Convection, Air Fryer, and Food Warmer).
If you are looking for an advanced microwave oven with some fancy features, the Amazon Smart Oven is for you. What's more? The Amazon Smart Oven is not that expensive and will be a great conversation starter in the kitchen. How often can you show off a voice-controlled microwave oven to friends and family members?
If you are a fan of Smart technology appliance, then the Amazon Smart Oven is definitely a must-have. Not only does it sport voice control, it is also quite versatile in terms of functionality. The Amazon Smart Oven is basically a 4-in-1 appliance with its ability to be used as a microwave, convection, air fryer, and food warmer.
This high-tech microwave oven certainly fits the “Home of the Future” aesthetic. With its voice control feature, multitasking in the kitchen is easier than ever. This is not just another one trick pony with some outstanding features and functionalities, it can furthermore enhance your cooking experience.
3. Toshiba EC042A5C-BS 1.5 Cu ft./1000W, Microwave Oven with Convection, Black Stainless Steel
If you are looking for a simple and dependable microwave convection oven with a budget-friendly price tag, then Toshiba is an excellent brand to start your search. This particular Toshiba microwave convection combo oven features a slew of fantastic features to help make you cooking experience as smooth as possible. With their Smart Sensor technology, you have up to 13 preset auto cook options that covers a handful of popular microwaveable recipes. We also liked the brushed stainless-steel exterior which makes it quite resistant to stains and fingerprints.
While it may not be prettiest gal at the ball, this Toshiba microwave convection oven more than makes up for it in performance. The exterior is quite easy to clean and it comes with a number of excellent microwave features at its disposal. Operating this Toshiba microwave is also quite easy thanks to the intuitive One-Touch control configuration.
4. Panasonic NN-GN68KS Countertop Microwave Oven with FlashXpress
- Style Name: Microwave + Broiler.
- Wattage: 1000-1100 W.
- Dimension (H x W x D): 12.2 x 20.7 x 15.8!
- 1,000-Watts microwave power output and 1,100-Watts broiler power output.
- Comes with 7 preset auto cook menus.
- 13.4-inches turntable.
- Flash Press Broiler feature.
- Equipped with Genius Sensor Cooking technology.
- Features an additional 18 Preset menu items.
With its sleek, compact, and modern aesthetics, I can easily picture this Panasonic microwave oven on my countertop. This microwave oven also acts as a broiler which helps extend its functionalities further. The level of convenience the Panasonic NN-GN68KS is what helps separate it from the pack. With its Genius Sensor cooking technology, guess work is completely eliminated and you are guaranteed near perfect results with a bunch of popular recipes.
You might want to read more: Best Panasonic Microwave Convection Oven Reviews (Latest Update).
All in all, this is a sleek, compact, and easy-to-maintain oven from Panasonic. It has excellent functionalities but may require some practice for beginners. Also, I would like to note the cooling fan that I feel improves the overall safety of using this microwave oven.
5. Avanti MOTR13D3S 24" Over The Range Microwave, Stainless Steel
The sleek and minimalist design of the Avanti MOTR13D3S Over the Range microwave oven is sure to please those who prefer a classy approach in their appliances. The premium build of this microwave oven is one of the reasons for its high price tag, but it also comes with some excellent features in tow.
Besides the over the range feature, the Avanti also enjoys some fantastic features such as automatic cook functions that cover all the popular microwavable recipes. This will help eliminate guess work when it comes to figuring out whether your meal is ready or not. This is a traditional microwave with excellent OTR features. Along with its excellent reliability, this is definitely one that you should check out if it still strikes within your budget.
Avanti is a high-end microwave oven with over the range functionalities. The robust build of this oven makes it one of the sturdiest in this list. While the features do lack some variety, this microwave oven manages to deliver outstanding results with what it brings to the table. If you have the cash, we recommend you check out what Avanti has to offer.
You may want to read more:
The microwave convection oven combo is one of the most practical kitchen appliances in the market today. Why waste cash and extra kitchen space for two different types of oven when you can have both packed into one? If you are looking for a microwave oven that excels in functionality and practicality then we hope you have found the perfect one for your kitchen with the help of our in-depth guide.