For those who have just recently stepped into the microwave market, you might get overwhelmed with the wealth of option and variety that is available at the moment. For example, you might notice a particular type of microwave oven on the aisle that categorizes it as a microwave convection oven combo. What does that even mean, you ask? Well, you have come to the right place as we will be giving you the low-down of this particular microwave oven.
What exactly is a convection microwave oven combo? - What are its strengths and weaknesses? - What should you look for with this particular microwave oven? - Do you even need this type of microwave oven?
These questions and more are important to understand when it comes to investing in home appliances. There are hundreds to thousands of choices available, and that can be overwhelming. Making an uninformed decision can lead you to a microwave oven that does not fit your personal preferences.
To help guide you towards the best over the range microwave convection combo, we compiled an in-depth list of units based on their overall quality, customer feedback, and the results of our rigorous tests. We will also offer you a guide on crucial factors to look for in a microwave convection oven combo. So, without further ado, let us begin our search!
In a Hurry?
Hold up a minute. No need to skim through our entire review and buying guide as we have a quick summary of the top three convection oven combos that we highly recommend. Check them out!
Best Overall: Panasonic NN-CD87KS Home Chef 4-in-1 Microwave Oven with Air Fryer, Convection Bake, FlashXpress Broiler, Inverter
Offering versatility at a worthy price. The Panasonic NN-CD87KS Home Chef microwave oven is our pick as the most well-rounded in this list. It's not just a microwave oven, but also as 4-in-1 oven with Air Fryer, Convection Bake, FlashXpress Broiler, Inverter. This will upgrade your kitchen by performing multiple tasks effectively well!
Budget Pick: Toshiba EC042A5C-BS 1.5 Cu ft./1000W, Microwave Oven with Convection, Black Stainless Steel
If you are looking for a microwave oven combo with a more budget-friendly quality, Toshiba is definitely a brand you should check out. This microwave oven combo in particular provides a decent capacity while keeping the price tag as low as possible. While it is a budget pick, this entry from Toshiba is as good as any model that is above its price range.
High-end Pick: Avanti MOTR13D3S 24" Over The Range Microwave, Stainless Steel
For those who prefer high-end appliances, Avanti offers something right up your alley. This microwave convection combo also doubles as an over the range microwave and is designed to be installed without much fuss. The compact design and excellent functionality also make this a suitable choice for those with limited kitchen space.
Benefits of Using a Microwave Convection Oven Combo
Of course, a fancy string of words might sound impressive, but what can you truly expect from this type of microwave oven? What are the advantages that it can bring to your kitchen countertop? Well, sit back and let us go through the reasons why you should go for a convection microwave oven combo, shall we?
- Versatile: Traditional microwave ovens offer the barebones functionality in that it is used primarily in cooking, defrosting, and reheating. A convection combo oven though goes a step beyond and provides you with the ability to not only do the basic microwave oven functionalities, but also roast, broil, grill, bake, and steam! No need to buy additional kitchen appliances like the convection combo oven is pretty much an 'all-in-one' unit.
- Energy Efficient: With its convection heating feature, this type of microwave oven can deliver faster cooking time. This is a two-fold advantage as not only can you prepare meals at almost half the usual time, it also means the microwave oven will consume less electricity. The shorter the cooking time, the less power consumption, and the lower your monthly utility bills.
Microwave Convection Oven Combo – What to Look for?
- Size: Always consider how much space your kitchen has before buying a microwave convection combo oven. The capacity will be relative to each customer, but a good all-around size is 45L and above. This should cover all basic cooking requirements. Also, since this is a convection combo oven, you will be able to save space as it will have more functionalities available than your conventional oven.
- Wattage: When it comes to microwave cooking wattage, the ballpark is to go for 900 to 1300-watts units as these will help lower the total cooking time. Anything lower than that will result in slower cooking time. Convection oven will require higher power output so if you plan on taking advantage of this particular functionality in the microwave convection oven combo, I highly recommend you opt for the highest possible wattage.
- Smart Technology: Convenience is one of the key selling points of this type of microwave oven. The ‘’2 in 1” functionality of microwave convection combo ovens are just the tip of the iceberg. Most of the current models in the market are also equipped with advanced features and preset programming to make cooking your favorite meals a breeze.
- Aesthetics: Of course, the design of the microwave oven should be another aspect to consider. You don’t want this to stick out like a sore thumb in your kitchen, right? This is why you should also consider the design of the microwave oven. Depending on your kitchen’s interior design, you can choose between the traditional oven design or the more modern ones. Either way, this particular factor lies solely on to your personal preference.
- Warranty: Finally, you should always check the warranty period of the microwave oven. Since this appliance can be a bit expensive, it is best to understand the warranty clause and have one that has an extensive coverage period. The most common warranty period for this type of product is around three years, so don’t settle for anything lower than that time frame.
The 5 Best Microwave Convection Oven Combo On The Market Now
As you can see, a microwave convection oven combo is built with versatility in mind. It's design and functionality combine several elements into one unit that is both compact and reliable. Now, if these benefits are your cup of tea, let us move on to our list of most recommended products. These are, currently, the best choices in this category of microwave ovens. If you are looking for the best of the best, you have found them.
#1. Panasonic NN-CD87KS Home Chef 4-in-1 Microwave Oven with Air Fryer, Convection Bake, FlashXpress Broiler, Inverter
- Spacious 1.0 cubic feet capacity
- The Ultimate all-in-one oven
- It contains the second oven: Convection Bake Oven ranges 100°F to 425°F.
- Equipped with a Healthy Air Fry Technology
- Inverter Technology
- Can perform a FlashXpress Broiler excellently
The Panasonic NN-CD87KS Home Chef 4-in-1 microwave convection oven combo is a sleek and modern kitchen appliance for the modern family. It gives every bang of for its buck and with a solid selection of features and functionality in tow, I have no reason to disagree. The unit comes with multi-function cooking which allows it to offer excellent versatility in cooking.
Because of the flexible wattage of this microwave oven, it can handle microwave heating, air frying, and grilling with relative ease. The grill mode is definitely a favorite of mine as I was able to achieve that perfectly even browning and crispiness of the outside while keeping the insides soft and juicy. As for a specific stand-out feature, I would give that distinction to the Low-Temp control functionality. This feature is perfect for slow-cook recipes and for dehydrating fruits.
- Compact design and best suited for kitchens with limited space and small counters.
- It features a sizeable 12.4 glass turntable which can accommodate most types of food.
- Excellent and helpful Slow Cook Control feature for specific recipes.
- The Grill-Convection combination functionality is the perfect solution for achieving the best results in roasting.
- Many functions in only 1 microwave oven make it the best microwave convection oven combo ever.
- The tinted window makes checking inside the oven difficult.
The Panasonic NN-CD87KS microwave convection oven combo provides excellent versatility and flexibility in kitchen use. The 1.2 cu ft. capacity is not only suitable for those large families, but also overall, the functionalities that its offers make it one of the most appealing choices in this list.
#2. Panasonic NN-GN68KS Countertop Microwave Oven with FlashXpress, 2-in-1 Broiler, Food Warmer & More
- 1,000-Watts microwave power output and 1,100-Watts broiler power output.
- Comes with 7 preset auto cook menus
- 13.4-inches turntable
- Flash Press Broiler feature
- Equipped with Genius Sensor Cooking technology
- Features an additional 18 Preset menu items
With its sleek, compact, and modern aesthetics, I can easily picture this Panasonic microwave oven on my countertop. This microwave oven also acts as a broiler which helps extend its functionalities further. The level of convenience the Panasonic NN-GN68KS is what helps separate it from the pack. With its Genius Sensor cooking technology, guess work is completely eliminated and you are guaranteed near perfect results with a bunch of popular recipes.
You might want to read more: Best Panasonic Microwave Convection Oven Reviews (Newest Update)
- Excellent performance of the microwave and broiler combo.
- Highly visible digital clock that allows you to check the timer with relative ease on any angle.
- Fast cooking and top-notch broiling functionality make cooking a breeze.
- The oven has a robust and sturdy build that considerably increases overall reliability.
All in all, this is a sleek, compact, and easy-to-maintain oven from Panasonic. It has excellent functionalities but may require some practice for beginners. I would also like to note the cooling fan that I feel improves the overall safety of using this microwave oven.
#3. Toshiba EC042A5C-BS 1.5 Cu ft./1000W, Microwave Oven with Convection, Black Stainless Steel
If you are looking for a simple and dependable microwave convection oven with a budget-friendly price tag, then Toshiba is an excellent brand to start your search. This particular Toshiba microwave convection combo oven features a slew of fantastic features to help make you cooking experience as smooth as possible. With their Smart Sensor technology, you have up to 13 preset auto cook options that covers a handful of popular microwaveable recipes. We also liked the brushed stainless-steel exterior which makes it quite resistant to stains and fingerprints.
While it may not be prettiest gal at the ball, this Toshiba microwave convection oven more than makes up for it in performance. The exterior is quite easy to clean and it comes with a number of excellent microwave features at its disposal. Operating this Toshiba microwave is also quite easy thanks to the intuitive One-Touch control configuration.
#4. Amazon Smart Oven, a Certified for Humans Device – plus Echo Dot
- 1,000-Watts with 10 Power Levels
- Rated power: 1,000W microwave, 1,400W convection cook, 1,300W warming element
- Has a 1.5 cu ft. capacity
- Wi-Fi connectivity
- Compatible with the Alexa App
- Up to 30 Built-In Preset Menus
- Equipped with 4 Cooking Modes (Microwave, Convection, Air Fryer, and Food Warmer)
If you are looking for an advanced microwave oven with some fancy features such as voice control then the Amazon Smart Oven is worth a shot. What’s more, the Amazon Smart Oven is not that expensive and will be a great conversation starter in the kitchen. How often can you show off a voice-controlled microwave oven to friend and family?
If you are a fan of Smart technology appliance, then the Amazon Smart Oven is definitely a must-have. Not only does it sport voice control, it is also quite versatile in terms of functionality. The Amazon Smart Oven is basically a 4-in-1 appliance with its ability to be used as a microwave, convection, air fryer, and food warmer.
This high-tech microwave oven certainly fits the “Home of the Future” aesthetic. With its voice control feature, multitasking in the kitchen is easier than ever before. This is not just another one trick pony though as the Amazon Smart Oven also comes with some outstanding features and functionalities to further enhance your kitchen and cooking experience.
#5. Avanti MOTR13D3S 24" Over The Range Microwave, Stainless Steel
- 1,000-Watts with 10 Power Levels
- Comes in at 1.3 cu ft. capacity
- Equipped with ventilation system (300-CFM and 2-speed fan)
- Rotating turntable
- Surface light
- Kitchen Timer
- Child Safety Lock
The sleek and minimalist design of the Avanti MOTR13D3S Over the Range microwave oven is sure to please those who prefer a classy approach in their appliances. The premium build of this microwave oven is one of the reasons for its high price tag, but it also comes with some excellent features in tow.
Besides the over the range feature, the Avanti also enjoys some fantastic features such as automatic cook functions that cover all the popular microwavable recipes. This will help eliminate guess work when it comes to figuring out whether your meal is ready or not. This is a traditional microwave with excellent OTR features. Along with its excellent reliability, this is definitely one that you should check out if it still strikes within your budget.
Avanti is a high-end microwave oven with over the range functionalities. The robust build of this oven makes it one of the sturdiest in this list. While the features do lack some variety, this microwave oven manages to deliver outstanding results with what it brings to the table. If you have the cash, we recommend you check out what Avanti has to offer.
You may want to read more:
The microwave convection oven combo is one of the most practical kitchen appliances in the market today. Why waste cash and extra kitchen space for two different types of oven when you can have both packed into one? If you are looking for a microwave oven that excels in functionality and practicality then we hope you have found the perfect one for your kitchen with the help of our in-depth guide.